Friday, March 31, 2017

Day 2 - Wednesday - 3/29/17 - At Sea in the South China Sea

Today was the first of two sea days enroute to Shanghai, China.  I really like sea days and it was a leisurely get up day.  After a nice breakfast, I went to the Theatre for what was supposed to be 10am America's Test Kitchen presentation on Salmon purchase, preparation, and presentation.  However there was an error in the online program, so it would not be held until 11am which conflicted with a lecture on Hong Kong history.  So I had to miss it.

At 10:30am in the Crow's Nest there was a gathering for Cruise Critic Members and it was good to be able to associate faces with screen names.  We learned from one member that the immigration process for our next port, Shanghai, was very disorganized. We shall see.

The lecture by Master Kam on Hong Kong history was good, but much of it I had learned on our land tour a few weeks earlier. After lunch I started reading my first book, 'Killing the Rising Sun' by William O'Reilly.  It's a history of America's victory over the Japanese and why the Atomic Bomb was needed and how it changed the world forever.  

Jeremy presented a nice overview of sights to see in Shanghai and I resumed reading my book until dinner.  I find it quite relaxing to read while watching the ocean pass by.  There were lots of little fishing vessels and a few larger ships and a fair amount of flotsam and jetsam to be seen.

Dinner tonight was Gala (dress up) and we enjoyed a nice dinner with a couple from Duncan, BC. Afterwards, Angela and I went to a presentation on 4 key Chinese literary works (none of which I had heard of).  Anastasia returned to the room to sleep.  She's gotten better from her seasickness this morning.

The entertainment tonight was the cast production of Atlantic Crossing, a musical tribute to the British groups and their songs that become popular in America.  Both of us were tired afterwards so we skipped watching the movie and headed for bed.

We get our passports back tomorrow for the Shanghai immigration process and have a few other things in mind.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment